Saturday 16 May 2020

Longing for freedom



As I was sitting in my study the other day some movement out of my window caught my eye. The most amazing sight of five geese flying across my garden! They were so low that I felt that I could almost reach out and touch them. As I was gathering my breath at this encounter with nature, they flew back across again. Just wonderful. 

They brought to mind the lines from Violet Jacobs' poem ‘The Wild Geese’. 

‘And far abune the Angus straths I saw the wild geese flee,
A lang, lang skein o’ beatin’ wings, wi’ their heids towards the sea,’

It is a poem about longing for home. So many of us can identify with such longing just now. Longing for life to return to the way it used to be. Longing to be able to earn a living again. Longing to do the simple things in life that we used to take for granted – visiting the library, coffee with friends, wandering around the shops. Longing to be reunited with loved ones.

We are called to be patient in these times of longing. Patience is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit and we can tap into that through our faith. Through our belief that God is with us in our longing and can give us the patience to keep going, no matter how tough it can be, until the day when we again have the freedom of the geese to go wherever we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment