Tuesday 29 November 2011

Bethlehemian Rhapsody



Bethlehemian Rhapsody

Found this on Facebook this morning - it has enchanted all who I have shown it to throughout the day. A simple retelling of the nativity story done with a clever interpretation of the music/lyrics of Queen's great hit. The story of Jesus birth, no matter how it is told, continues to have the power to reach in and move our hearts. Perhaps it is partly because of the familiarity. We have heard the story told again and again. Partly because we first heard it when we were young. Hearing it again brings us back to the simple trust that we had as children.
I remember being part of the telling of the story in primary school. I didn't have a big role. My task was only to clap the two coconut shells together to make donkey trotting noises - but I loved it! I felt involved. I felt that I was caught up in this wonderful tale that we heard each year. Watching the puppets perform in the rhapsody I again was caught up in the story - now as an adult but somehow, somehow, transported back to the sheer delight of the little child. Jesus said 'bring the little children to me'. The child inside still responding to that call to come and see the child in the manger.

No comments:

Post a Comment